Wednesday, November 02, 2005

refrigerators and apples

years ago (in college) my aunt helen wrote me a letter with two stories seperate stories about child-like faith and i want to share them with my dearest friends b/c God keeps reminding me of these stories.
my aunt and uncle had very little money when their children were young, so when the refrigerator broke down they weren't sure what to do. they couldn't afford a new one; they could afford a repair man; they couldn't afford to buy all new food. my aunt was in tears and their little boy, Mike said, "why don't we ask God to fix it?" being a good mom and sunday school teacher she said o.k., hardly believing anything would come of it, but she had to pray b/c her 6 year old suggested it. Mike, his younger brother, jim, and my aunt knelt before the fridge and asked God to fix it. upon the final amen the motor roared. the fidge lasted for years after God fixed it.

she also wrote about another time her children taught her a lesson in faith. the boys wanted her to make an apple pie. she advised them that she had no extra money that week to buy apples. the boys prayed for apples on the way to the store. they left the store without any apples. God rained apples on them on the way home, however. A truck lost a crate of apples and there were apples everywhere. it was such a little thing and it taught those boys (and me) that God cares about the littlest detail and desire of our lives. it's not just an apple to God.

c.s.lewis said, "lay before him what is in us, not what ought to be in us."

praying hard for purple bikes...

1 comment:

serendipity said...

the whole part of me- not just the part that i feel safe in laying down. that is where the rubber meets the road. oh me of little faith.